Out of town Saturdays: Brooklyn StylePosted: July 27, 2013
It’s nice to get out of town every once in a while. Today I used CitiBike, New York’s new bike share program, and rode around the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Park Slope and Cobble Hill. Some observations…
- Red lights mean pause briefly before barreling ahead, apparently. For the record, I stopped at each one.
- A lot of parents find it safe enough to ride with their kids.
- Green pavement and contraflow lanes are really nice. A low cost, high impact way to improve cycling without taking away those ever-so-precious parking spaces. Take note, Boston. See the photo.
- Diversity among Brooklyn cyclezenry- more people from across the socioeconomic spectrum seem to be cycling.
- On the subject of red lights, the signals could be timed better so you don’t have to stop pretty much every block.
- The bike-friendliest nabes of Brooklyn are more pleasant to ride a bike in than most of Cambridge… am I a traitor for saying that?